The shop has gone live at Etsy, with six varieties of shaving soap.
I’ve also been updating the website with additional information, links, and a soaping-focused blog.
I have been a busy bee since the last time I posted. I finished up the mascot/logo for Dapper Dragon. I like how he turned out. It’s a bit cartoony, but smooth. Which is what I was hoping for.
I also got some feedback on the lotion bars. It seems like they’re pretty universally enjoyed, and considered to be effective. On the other hand, they are maybe a bit too slippery to just hold in your hand while using on the rest of your body. So I’m considering picking up some sort of twist-up or push-up container before I start offering them for sale.
On the soap front, things are also continuing apace. I have my oils, and my restock of caustics, and I have started making my soaps for the launch. On Friday night, I made my first set of soaps in the laundry room soaping table, or as I have taken to calling it, the Soap Lair. Things worked out pretty well, though I overloaded my equipment and that made everything take too long.
I ended up with three pounds of shaving soap in Dapper Dragon scent.
As you can see, it’s not all pucks. I misunderstood the statistics on my new column mold that I got from my parents for Christmas and ended up with more soap than would fit in it, and in the Pringles can I had set up for backup. (Fun fact: Pringles cans are the same inner diameter as my soap mold, and as many pucks of shaving soap.) So I ended up cramming some of it into the 2oz bar mold I used for the lotion bar. That worked out okay, though, because I just used those to make sample pieces. I’m a little anxious about the pucks, though. They aren’t as regular as I’d hoped. They are the right weight, but making them that way ended up with a combination of hand formed/combined pieces, and smooth pieces cut straight off the log. The nature of hot process soap (especially when dealing with more delicate fragrance oils) means that there are sometimes pockets of air and the like inside where the soap, which is no longer liquid once you mold it, didn’t compact down as much as you might hope.
Last night I cooked up two pounds of Blood Orange soap. Two pounds is a much more reasonable amount of soap in my current equipment. I’ll definitely be investing in some larger cooking equipment as one of my first reinvestments in the business – assuming I break even. I’m torn between a larger crock pot, or a large stainless steel pot & induction heating element.
The way things went this weekend, I think I’ll be making soap just about every day until I’m ready to start selling. And then it will depend on how quickly the soap sells. If we get lucky and catch popularity early, it might continue for a while. Or I might end up sitting on this inventory for months.
Either way, I’m pretty excited by the whole endeavor. Even if it doesn’t work out, it’s been a heck of a ride so far.
My soap hobby cum nascent business is gaining momentum lately. I’m getting pretty excited about it. I have a planned launch inventory, though who knows if it will be enough. I guess I’d rather have too little and have to reorder and adjust, than order too much and take a big loss when the line doesn’t take off.
I’ve reserved the doman DapperDragon.com. I’m in the midst of setting up the site using Joomla. The logo is 50% done.
I’ve got an initial scent line-up, too:
Dapper Dragon – An old-school barbershop/cologne smell, with a twist. A blend of citrus oils and canteloupe, combined with smooth oakmoss, and spicy lavandin and black pepper.
Ice Wyrm – Peppermint and rosemary, with a hint of black pepper in the background.
Lavender Lizard – A mix of French lavender and lavandin, with notes of oakmoss and black pepper. (I’m starting to see a trend.)
Jasmine & Vanilla
If things continue to go well, I see the site launching in 4 to 6 weeks!
As I suspected, my NaNoWriMo novel didn’t hit 50,000 words during November. C’est la vie. I has, however, hit more than 20,000, and gotten to the introduction of the central tangle of conflicts that will drive the rest of the story. So I’m pleased, and I’m still making progress.
On the soaping front, things are going well. I have shaving soap samples out to a few people that agreed to test for me, and a few more lined up. That’s pretty exciting for me, and it looks like early 2014 is still a realistic goal to open up shop. I’ve also been focusing a bit more on face/hand soap, with an eye toward extending that part of my product line.
This has involved learning some things about cold process soap that I didn’t know before. Such as, the temperature of your ingredients really does make a difference. Not so much because of functionality (it will create soap either way) but because of the rapidity of trace (setting) and the “gel phase” process. I made a batch of soap for cold process and combined them when the oils and lye were both pretty hot. It traced rather abruptly and started a gel phase right away. Usually you have to insulate a soap and leave it overnight for that to happen. (Or make it by hot process.)
So, I ended up with a functional but messy looking soap:
I have a nice new silicon mold now, and plan to try making a hot-process batch. I think that HP soap that is done in a shallow container like the one I received this week will be easier to handle than the tall cylindrical molds I had been using.
Oh, and the Dapper Dragon himself is starting to take shape!