One of the projects that is eating my brain is a superhero graphic novel, Celerity. Celerity is a teen girl who develops super speed powers. Wacky hijinx ensue. Or tense action and drama. Take your pick.
I originally envisioned it as an ongoing comic title, but I decided last week that it should be a graphic novel instead. If that even applies to a work offered online. Regardless of the proper name, it will have a definite beginning, middle, and end. I think this will make the whole project different. I was going to say harder, because I will have to intentionally write in the sorts of things that often grow organically out of an ongoing series. Then I realized that I will also have some things easier. I can offer definite resolutions to storylines, because removing a character or situation isn’t as far reaching. I don’t have to worry about untenable situations in the comic – it’s okay for something to bring a halt to Celerity’s career. I also don’t have to come up with (or recycle) an endless stream of plots to keep it going in perpetuity.
I went for a long time without finding an artist who was interested, but now I have got one. My friend Levi will be drawing for the comic. We are deep into the brainstorming phase right now.
I will be hosting the comic here, on a subdomain. I will also be publishing it under a Creative Commons license. (Most likely by-nc-sa.) That reminds me, I should look for open source comic website software. Something tells me that writing the comic and writing software to display it may be more than I can handle.